Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Is Utah a good place to live for a non-mormon?

how is the weather, people's attitudes, cost of life etc.Is Utah a good place to live for a non-mormon?
I live in Utah (actually Sugarhouse which is just outside of Salt Lake City) and I am a Non-Mormon and Non-Republican. I have plenty of friends and neighbors with my same lifestyle and political views. I absolutely love it here. I think that the cost of living is reasonable. I don鈥檛 know where that other guy is comparing Utah to when he said it was outrageous, but it is not. Home prices are on the rise here though, so if you are thinking about moving here sooner would be better than later. I think that the weather here is mild. Our winters are cold and snowy, but nowhere near as cold as it gets on the East Coast. Our summers are also mild (compared to some other desert states). Last year was a little hotter than usual. (We had a few days in the 100s). Overall it is a wonderful place to live (the closer you get to Salt Lake City). If you are not Mormon or Republican I would NOT recommend living in Utah County, it is almost eerie how conservative it is there. Honestly, I would recommend Sugar House, Holladay or the Avenues (Downtown Salt Lake Suburbia). As far as nightlife and restaurants, we have many. Utah actually (believe it or not) brews some really good beer. Utah comes highly recommended in my book. I could go on and on. Just ask if you have any more questions. Honestly, I think a lot of the people that hate it here have never lived anywhere else, they are mormon (and wish they weren't), and just want something to blame their crappy life on.



Also, I work for a very large lawfirm downtown and most of the people I work with (300+ employees) are not mormon either.
1. No

2. Cold in winter

3. Friendly until you tell them you won't convert

4. You'll have difficulty getting employment since most bosses are ward bishops.

5. Try Colorado or Arizona.



Observe 'Infinity's' typical mormon response to everything: 'Don't listen, except to them..' Mormons do not like opinions.Is Utah a good place to live for a non-mormon?
Don't listen to Mr. Peepers. He's full of it.



Anyway, honestly it depends on where you are planning to live. Salt Lake City is only about 50% Mormon, but the further away you get from downtown, the more Mormons you will find. Moab is only like 25%. Then there's places like Provo...90%. No matter where you live in Utah (or parts of Idaho) you will run into people who will ask you what religion you are. Also Utah is predominately Republican.



Cost of living is sort of high...the home prices are outrageous, but depending on where you come from, they might actually be better. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter. People drive like idiots (especially in the snow).



Overall, however, it's a nice place to live.
Depends on where you live. sometimes, it's not even a great place to live even if you are Mormon. I felt an outsider because I wasn't "Daughters of the Utah Pioneers" qualified.



If you are not Mormon, and you are Christian, I would find a good church and find out from them.



Some places taht are not predominately Mormon: Salt Lake City, Park City (I think), and anywhere close to Hill AFB. I think. Like I said, find other non-LDS and ask them.Is Utah a good place to live for a non-mormon?
Here is a cute article I read about it:



http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,65鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment