Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Polygamy in Provo, Utah?

Hi you guys. I had a simple, yet somewhat personal question... I'm thinking hard about moving to the Utah area after I graduate from college. I've been looking into the Provo area, it looks beautiful!! Hiking paths, mountains, canyons, rivers, lakes... and the weather seems great year-round. My main question at this point is this: do the Mormons practice Polygamy in many areas of Utah? I am not a Mormon nor would I appreciate being a second wife to somebody. I don't want to get involved with men who have multiple women. Will that be an issue in Provo, Utah? Or the surrounding areas? If anybody could get back to me with an answer on this, I would love to know more. Thanks alot!!Polygamy in Provo, Utah?
Mainstream Mormons don't practice polygamy and haven't for 150 years. The Mormon groups practicing polygamy today are small offshoot groups from the main church. There are a few polygamists in the Provo area, whom you might recognize by their unusual dress and hairstyles, but they tend not to interact with people outside their group. The vast majority of today's Mormon women would agree with you - they wouldn't want to be anyone's second wife!
There may be a few polygamists in Provo but don't worry. They tend to keep to themselves and don't go "shopping" for wives in the general public. They have their own groups and meeting places so if you want to find one you actually have to go looking for them.Polygamy in Provo, Utah?
Officially the Mormon church bans polygamy and it is illegal in all states, including Utah. There are sects that have split off from the church that still practice it in secret. You've been watching too much "Big Love" on HBO.
Joe C is correct. The sects that practice it tend to be in out of the way parts of Utah and Colorado. Go to Provo. You won't regret it.Polygamy in Provo, Utah?
How many times are you going to ask this question?

No comments:

Post a Comment