Saturday, February 25, 2012

I'm planning a ski trip to Utah, when can I expect the resorts to have most of the terrain open? 2nd week Jan?

I'm planning on going to Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, and a few of the Cottonwood Canyon resorts. What time of year do they usually have most of the mountain open for skiing? If I'm there January 4th through 11th what should I expect? Weather permitting of course.I'm planning a ski trip to Utah, when can I expect the resorts to have most of the terrain open? 2nd week Jan?
I think pretty much everything will be open although it is possible the snow might be a little thin in early January. I have been to all the mountains you mention except Powder mountain and they are very good. I think early march is the best time for snow condition weather etc, But early january should be fine as well.
If your from the east coast I here Utah snow is powder skiing and not hard packed like 7springs, Pa or further east. Anyway January ought to be just fine unless Utah experiences heavy rain like Noah saw many years ago or weather like at the equator. Go and enjoy what the snow Gods usually offer up in Utah. Heavy powder snow and have fun.I'm planning a ski trip to Utah, when can I expect the resorts to have most of the terrain open? 2nd week Jan?
I would think so. I live in Northern Utah and we just had a huge storm come though yesterday and we are expecting more today. Matter of fact snowbasin got about 20 inches snow from that snow. Here is a link for a local station here in Utah it has a skiing report www.kutv.com I do not know if this will help you. We are even expecting another storm as the week goes along. It might be snowing and cold when you come.
Man, usually everything is open NOW!!



Which is rather disturbing that they aren't. Not a good thing at all.



Alta is skiing on 3 chairs only. Usually the whole mountain is open.



So, there is no good answer here. By that time, technically, everything oughta be open. But we will need at least two more major snowfalls. So far, we have only gotten a couple storms that totaled in the 2 foot range or so.



I'll go out on a limb and say you are all right. Should be by then. Supposed to be getting a storm tomorrow or Friday...we will see.



I haven't skied Snowbasin, but I've skied Powder, Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude...although I usually hang out at Alta, or up in the backcountry.I'm planning a ski trip to Utah, when can I expect the resorts to have most of the terrain open? 2nd week Jan?
It's dumping NOW (12/7) all over the West. I am certain that there will be plenty of snow by the middle of Jan.
Lake Tahoe

No comments:

Post a Comment